“Rezala” means a white colored rich meat preparation where yogurt , malai, nut paste and other ingredients are used . But as time went by the color of rezala has turned into bright golden color other than white . The color changed and so are the ingredients . There are many versions of beef rezala . I usually cook beef in so many different ways , loved and adored by my near and dear ones so much and that inspires me to experiment each and every time . This version of Beef Rezala is my favorite , though I didn’t follow the traditional method and ingredients for Rezala .But trust me , it tastes so good and resembles to that of “Biye Bari Style Rezala” ( the rezala served in wedding parties in Bangladesh) !!!!!!!!!!
Beef 1 kg
Onion Paste 1 large
Garlic Paste 5/ 6 cloves or 2 teaspoon
Ginger Paste 1 and half table spoon
Chopped Onion 1 medium
Chopped Garlic 1 teaspoon
Chopped Ginger 2 teaspoon
Papaya ( Raw) Paste 2 tbl spoon ( It will work as a meat tenderizer, plz don’t omit this ingredient)
2 Cinnamon stick , 2″ long each
4/5 Cardamom pod
2 large Bay leaves
Turmeric Powder a little less than half teaspoon ( not heaped)
Chili Powder half teaspoon ( you can alwayz adjust according to your taste)
Dried red chili paste of 3/4 chilies
5/ 6 Dried rec chilies, split in halves
Salt to taste
Special Garam masala Powder for beef
Shaan” korma curry masala powder 1/4th teaspoon
Radhuni garam masala powder 1/4 th tea spoon
Special Garam MAsala Powder:
Cumin 1 teaspoon
Whole coriander 1 teaspoon
Cinnamon a small 1 inch stick
Black pepper half teaspoon
Fennel Seed a little less than 1 teaspoon
Dry roast them a little , not too much , just slightly dry roast . I Microwave them for 30-35 second.Then Crush them into a fine smooth powder.
1. Wash the meat and drain all the water from meat .
2.Mix meat with all the ingredients including oil , except garam masala powder. Keep it aside for half an hour if you have time .
3. Put it on the stove and start cooking on medium flame. Add 2 cups ( 500 ml) water and cover the lid . After 15 minutes , reduce the heat a little and allow the meat to cook for atleast 1 and half hour . Water will release from the meat too . But keep your eyes on the meat . I added water ( 1 cup) after 50 minutes , as the water was reduced a lot. Don’t dry up the water .
4 . let the meat cook on low medium flame . After 1 and half hour the water released from the beef would almost dry up and oil would start to float on top. Now add the special garam masala powder and mix well . add 1 cup of piping hot water and cover the lid . Now You may increase the flame a little . Let it cook for another 10 minutes on medium flame or until it comes to desired consistency . Put it on very low flame for another 5 minutes ( which we call to keep on dom) , oil will separate and at this point sprinkle the Shaan Korma curry masala powder and Radhuni Garam masala . Turn off the stove and put the meat on the stove with lid on .
Serve with Polau , plain rice,paratha, naan or Chaaler ruti ( bread made of rice flour) . Enjoy!!!!!
1. Always try to buy good quality meat . The taste really differs depending which part of meat you bought. I always prefer meat from the back of the leg ( Chaap er mangsho ).
2. Though fat of the meat is disgusting , but plz don’t throw away all the fat from the meat , that makes your meat tasteless . I keep a little bit of fat and bones . The juice inside the bones make your beef yummy!!!!!!!! So please keep a little bit of fat ( chorbi) and bones , everytime you cook desi style beef!!!!!!
3. Radhuni Garam masala is really good . But I don’t put too much of it as it will destroy the color of the beef. Just sprinkle 1/4 th teaspoon of it when you finished your cooking .
4. Don’t forget the special beef garam masala I mentioned , that really enhances the flavor .:)