Bhinda sambhariya is an irresistible preparation of fresh okras, stuffed with an exciting sesame-tinged coconut and coriander mixture, and cooked in its own juice. Choose very small and tender okras for the best flavour, and enjoy its juicy feel combined with typical gujarati spices. This dish is a good fit for any occasion, and any meal!
Preparation Time: 10 minutes.
Cooking Time: 15 minutes.
2 cups ladies finger (bhindi)
¼ cup oil
½ tsp asafoetida (hing)
To be mixed into a filling
6 tbsp grated coconut
6 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
3 tsp sugar
1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
2 tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp sesame seeds (til)
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
1. Wash and cut the ladies finger into 50 mm. (2″) pieces and slit lengthwise carefully, so that the segments do not separate.
2. Fill each ladies finger with a little of the prepared filling and keep aside.
3. Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the asafoetida.
4. Add the stuffed ladies finger and mix well.
5. Cover and cook on a medium flame for 15 to 20 minutes or till the ladies finger is cooked, while stirring occasionally. Serve hot.
You can also add 2 tbsp of coarsely ground peanuts to the filling.