In some people the skin around the ankle may appear black or brown this is known as dark ankle. There are many reasons for the development of dark skin around the ankle. The skin will be dry and thick near the ankle for some people due to constant friction with the boots or rough clothes. It commonly occurs in children and in older people.
The Causes And Symptoms For Dark Ankles
The skin at the ankle is very thin and it may discolor due to various reasons. Staining of wet clothes, wearing boots or any medical conditions can cause dark ankle. The most important medical causes include venous stasis, sprains and bruises and Rocky Mountain spotted fever. When the veins lack the ability to carry blood back up the legs venous stasis occurs. Poor circulation, injury or surgery can result in venous stasis. Ankle sprains can cause bruising and discoloration followed by swelling in the ankle area. Rocky Mountain spotted fever is a tick0borne infection. Rash or dark brown spots appear on the ankles and wrist. If any of the medical conditions are causing the dark ankle, you must get the medical advice. Apart from these medical causes, continuous use of shoes or rubbing of the ankle area with rough cloth etc can lead to dark ankle. The continuous friction makes the skin rough and dry. It is possible to cure this type of dark ankle by using various home remedies.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Dark Ankle
1. Almond Paste
If you spot dark ankles and knees in your legs, then you can use almond paste mixture to lighten the dark ankles.
• Take 10 to 15 almonds and grind it to a smooth paste in a blender by adding water.
• Now to this paste add a tablespoon of honey and mix it well.
• Apply this mixture generously over your dark ankles and leave it there either overnight or for an hour.
• Wash it off with cold water.
• Repeat this procedure every day for 10 days to see visible results.
• You can also use milk instead of honey to the almond paste.
2. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is a natural extract that has antiseptic properties and has other helpful benefits for the body. It is also an effective home remedy for dark ankles and elbows.
• Cut two to three lemon pieces into halves and extract fresh lemon juice from it.
• Apply this juice evenly on the dark ankles and leave it there for 30 minutes.
• Rinse this off after 30 minutes and repeat this procedure two times a day.
• You will see your ankles lighten in 7 to 8 days.
3. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera gel is a very good home remedy that you can use to treat dark ankles.
• Apply fresh aloe vera juice or gel on the dark ankles of your leg.
• Leave it there for about 30 minutes.
• You can either wash it off or take a shower after 30 minutes.
• Repeat this process daily to see your skin lightening around the ankle area.