One of the best ways to get rid of oily and greasy hair fast overnight is to wash your hair with a good quality oil free shampoo to remove the sticky oils from your hair and scalp. Other ways are to apply the home remedies outlined in this article on a regular basis, using inexpensive natural ingredients like baking soda, apple cider vinegar, aloe-vera, lemon and egg yolk, to keep the grease and oil in your hair under control.
1. Don’t Wash Your Hair Every Day: When you wash your hair, you remove the natural moisturizing oils. Everyday washing of hair can lead your oil glands to go over-drive and produce more moisturizing oils to compensate for oil loss, making your hair greasy and sticky with oil. Wash your hair with a good oil removal shampoo not more than three times a week to get rid of oil from your hair.
Note: During first couple of weeks your hair may look oily in between hair washing, as your scalp is still used to producing more oil. Continue with this routine for things to get in balance.
2. Ditch The Hair Conditioner: Use conditioner sparingly, as it is not necessary when your scalp is producing too much oil to keep your hair from drying out. Some hair experts say to the extent of advising to skip conditioner altogether until your greasy hair problem is solved, or to apply it only to the ends of the hair. Adding more conditioner to your hair can make your hair get oily faster, requiring too often hair washing and triggering the cycle of oil overproduction.
3. Use Good Quality Shampoos, Conditioners And Hair Products: Cheap and substandard quality shampoos, conditioners, hair sprays, and gels contain a lot of chemicals that build up oil and grease in your hair to make it look greasy. Instead go for products made up of natural ingredients, which will create less build-up and you will not need to wash your hair too often. These days there are available many oil controlling shampoos that you can use to wash your hair.
4. Rinse Your Hair Thoroughly To Avoid Residue On Your Hair: After shampooing, rinse your hair thoroughly so that no residue is left behind which can otherwise make your hair to attract more dirt and oil. Mantra is to rinse, rinse, and rinse for at least 30 seconds, so that no shampoo or conditioner residue is left behind. In many cases the actual problem arises due to not rinsing your hair properly after shampooing.
5. Hands Off: Touch, brush or comb your hair as sparingly as possible, if you have oily hair tendencies. The more you touch, brush, or even style your hair, the more your scalp will produce and spread grease and that will make your hair oily.
6. Minimize Your Hair Contact With Hot Temperature: When your hair comes in contact with hot temperature, it produces more oil and look greasy. So do following three things to get rid of greasy hair. Don’t wash your hair with hot water. Instead use lukewarm or cold water for washing your hair. Second is to use hair dryers at low temperatures. Third is to protect your hair from sunlight in summers. While going out in summer afternoons take care to wear hats or tie bandana around your head. Hot temperature not only makes your hair oily, but causes premature greying of your hair and early hair loss.
7. Avoid Stress And Depression: Stress and depression cause hormonal imbalance that can result into more production of oils on your skin and hair. Try to get rid of stress and depression by exercising, doing yoga or meditation. This will help you to get rid of oily hair and other skin and hair problems.
8. Go For Healthy Diet: Healthy Diet will keep your hair and skin nourished and healthy. Include in your diet salmon and walnuts for omega-3s, and spinach and carrots for vitamin A. Foods rich in protein and iron make your hair healthy, as deficiency in protein and iron can cause hair thinning and hair loss.